Al Ahram quotes UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres calling for an end to the Israeli-Hamas conflict, saying “we must act now to put an end to the nightmare”. He was speaking at the ‘Peace Summit’ in Cairo and also called for a “humanitarian ceasefire” on the 15th day of the war between Israel and Gaza. “The Gazans need much more, a massive delivery of aid is necessary” he added. Only 20 trucks crossed from Egypt to Gaza besieged and shelled by Israel on Saturday morning, a figure the UN says is totally insufficient. The organisation has called for 100 trucks of aid per day to help the 2.4 million people in the territory.
Gaza aid convoy ‘must not be last’ – UN
“The first convoy must not be the last”, the head of the UN humanitarian aid agency Martin Griffiths has warned during a ‘Summit for Peace’ in Cairo, after the passage of 20 trucks from Egypt towards Gaza besieged and shelled by Israel. “I am confident that this shipment will be the start of a sustainable effort to deliver essential goods – including food, water, medicine and fuel – to Gazans in a secure, unconditional and unhindered manner”, he added. Egyptian media have reported that Saturday’s shipments only contained food and medical aid and not fuel, vital in the Gaza Strip.
Israel to ramp up airstrikes on Gaza
A spokesman for Israel’s military said the country planned to step up its air attacks as preparation for the next stage of its war on Hamas. Asked about a possible ground invasion, IDF Spokesperson’s Head Daniel Hagari told reporters the military was trying to create optimal conditions before launching one. “We will deepen our attacks to minimize the dangers to our forces in the next stages of the war. We are going to increase the attacks, from today,” Hagari said.
Fighting intensifies along Israel’s border with Lebanon
Israeli forces and Hezbollah fighters exchanged fire on Saturday in several areas along the Lebanon-Israel border as violence continues to escalate over the Israel-Hamas conflict. Loud explosions were heard along the border close to the Mediterranean coast. An Israeli army spokesman said a group of gunmen fired a shell into Israel adding that an Israeli drone then targeted them. He added that another group of gunmen fired toward the Israeli town of Margaliot and a drone attacked them shortly afterwards. The state-run National News Agency reported that Israeli shelling hit several villages.
4,385 Palestinians killed since the start of the war
At least 4,385 Palestinians have been killed in the Gaza Strip since the start of the war between Israel and Gaza on 7 October, the territory’s Health Ministry has announced. According to the report, 1,756 children and 967 women are among these dead. At least 13,561 people have been injured in Gaza, relentlessly bombarded in retaliation for the Hamas attack on Israeli soil.
Three killed in Russian shelling
At least three civilians have been killed and others wounded across Ukraine as Russian forces continued to shell frontline areas and other parts of the country, local Ukrainian officials told Kyiv-Post. A man died as Russian forces shelled the Ukrainian-held town of Nikopol from their stronghold at Ukraine’s largest nuclear plant, according to Ukrainian local governor Serhii Lysak. Russian troops took over the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant early in the war, sparking intermittent fears of a radiation incident as shelling persisted near the site, often targeting Ukrainian-controlled settlements across the Dnieper River.
Woman, back from holiday, finds home demolished
A homeowner is mulling the next step after a company mistakenly demolished a home she owned in southwest Atlanta, USA. Susan Hodgson told The Associated Press she found a pile of rubble in place of what used to be her long-time family property when she returned from vacation last month. “I am furious,” Hodgson said. “I keep waking up thinking, ‘Is this all a joke or something?’ I’m just in shock.” She said a neighbour called her while she was away and asked if someone had been hired to tear down the vacant house. When the neighbour confronted them, Hodgson said, the workers got nasty. “He told her to shut up and mind her own business,” Hodgson said. She sent a family member over to see what was going on and who asked to see a permit. When a person in charge at the site checked his permit, Hodgson said he admitted he was at the wrong address.
Sir Bobby Charlton dead
Tributes have been paid by many former playmates to the memory of Manchester United and England’s World Cup winning team Bobby Charlton who died Saturday aged 86. Sporting Life notes Sir Bobby was widely known as one of the country’s greatest-ever footballers, lifting the World Cup, European Cup and First Division and winning the Ballon d’Or in 1966 after surviving the Munich Air Disaster in February 1958. He had graduated from United’s youth academy before scoring 249 goals in 758 appearances, cementing a legacy that will live on for eternity. He spent 17 years as a United superstar, winning the FA Cup as well as three league titles and the European Cup. His prestige extended into his international career, earning 106 England caps and netting 49 goals, helping the nation lift that historic World Cup in 1966. Erik ten Hag’s players wore black armbands during their Premier League away clash against Sheffield United last night, which they won 2-1, to pay tribute to Sir Bobby. A minute’s silence was also be observed before kick-off.